When you are referred for counselling or emotional support, you will be contacted by a counsellor who will offer a free initial telephone conversation with you lasting up to 30 minutes. This one/off session is designed to explore your particular circumstances in order to get an understanding of how best to help you.
Our counselling services focus on ME related support, i.e. living with or coping with ME. Broader mental health issues, including historical trauma, or other defined conditions, must be addressed by local services. Our services are provided via telephone or Skype and so there are limitations to what we can offer effectively, safely and ethically.
Please note: we are not a crisis service. If you feel unsafe or at risk of self harm, please contact your GP or the Samaritans on 116 123 for support.
- These sessions are both supportive and therapeutic in nature: they may include strategies and goals on how to deal with depression and anxiety or managing difficult emotions and behaviours
- Sessions are weekly or fortnightly and are booked into the diary on a regular basis
- Counselling may be time-limited or ongoing
- These sessions are supportive in nature and the emphasis is on listening and offering emotional and practical support
- They are on request
- They are open-ended not limited to any number of sessions
- In any week, after the initial appointment, you can phone, email or text the counsellor and request a session for that particular week. Each session will be only on request from you. The counsellor will not schedule regular weekly/fortnightly/monthly sessions.
During an initial free assessment session, lasting up to 30 minutes, we will discuss:
- What you see as the focus of the sessions for the moment:
- Need to talk
- Strategies, ways to cope better
- Combination of the two
- What length sessions you think you will need: up to 30 or up to 50 minutes
- Contact preference: phone/zoom/skype
- Preferred frequency: weekly, fortnightly or on request
- Any other needs
- If you would need to apply for bursary support
The counsellor contacts you at the agreed time for your sessions. If the counsellor does not get a response, he/she will leave a message and phone again 5 minutes later. If the counsellor does not get a response to the second call, then he/she will leave a second message inviting you to contact him/her again at another time.
Cancellation of appointment: – 24 hours’ notice of cancellation is requested. The counsellors reserve the right to charge 50% of the fee should less notice be given.